Wii Fit Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole

3 posters

Go down

Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole Empty Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole

Post  Steph Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:46 pm

I've gutted the house of all things white. Hit the grocery store and purchased whole grain rice for my spiffy new Panasonic Rice Maker that has a GABA rice setting. I've never been able to make decent brown rice in my el cheapo rice maker, nor on the stove top, we LOVE the Panasonic rice maker as it makes porridge, oatmeal and of course, rice! Also purchased whole grain pastas, whole grain couscous and whole grain pita pockets.

I started weight watchers last month. Not all recipes are created equal, I'll say that. But I made this one and my husband and son scarfed it up. Felt like comfort food to me. Plenty of fiber, check out the ingredients. Only 6 points, unfortunately I cannot provide nutritional info because it was not included.

Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole
WW POINTS: 6

1 spray(s) cooking spray
4 cup(s) cooked brown rice
1 1/4 cup(s) salsa
1 tsp ground cumin
15 oz canned refried beans
10 oz frozen corn kernels, thawed
4 oz canned green chili peppers, mild, diced
1 tbsp chili powder
10 oz chopped frozen spinach, or collard greens, thawed and set to drain in a strainer over a bowl
3/4 cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2 tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped (optional; for garnish)

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 2-quart rectangular, round or oval baking dish with cooking spray

In a large bowl, combine rice, salsa and cumin. Spoon 2 cups of rice mixture into prepared baking dish and spread out to evenly cover bottom of dish.

In another large bowl, combine refried beans, corn, chili peppers and chili power. Using a rubber spatula, scrape bean mixture on top of rice layer and smooth out top.

Squeeze out any excess water from spinach or collard greens and then spread on top of bean layer; sprinkle with 6 tablespoons of cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture and smooth out top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Place casserole on a large rimmed baking sheet to catch any spillage. Bake until heated through and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro (if desired), cut into 6 pieces and serve.
Steph
Steph
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole Empty Re: Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole

Post  Natalee Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:36 am

Thanks for posting it sounds yummy! I printed it off and stuck it to my fridge. I'm not a very good cook, but I'm going to try expanding my horizons! LOL
Natalee
Natalee
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-01-30

https://wiifitforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole Empty It's EASY

Post  Steph Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:30 am

This recipe does not require cooking skills. It's basically just layering stuff into a pan. Well, you have to cook the rice first but that's it....

My sixteen year old 'picky eater' son ate it, so it's family friendly. Just offer some fresh grocery store salsa on the side, maybe some fat free or low fat sour cream, etc.

I have to say that I've cut out all junk from my diet and I no longer CRAVE junk. I'm eating breakfast every day and heathy snacks in between meals and I'm never hungry. It's quite amazing actually. Who knew Laughing
Steph
Steph
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  phillip00 Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:42 am

Hi There!
This is Phillip!

Im new in this site!

I hope I can have some friends here!

I have to say that I've cut out all junk from my diet and I no longer CRAVE junk. I'm eating breakfast every day and heathy snacks in between meals and I'm never hungry. It's quite amazing actually.
Just keep on posting guys!

Thanks to all!

Good Luck!...
Wii Controllers

phillip00
Couch Potato
Couch Potato

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content