Wii Fit Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

People Who Say Wii Fit Is Just a Gimmick

+4
BrendaW
KeithA39
dancerpeg
Natalee
8 posters

Go down

People Who Say Wii Fit Is Just a Gimmick Empty People Who Say Wii Fit Is Just a Gimmick

Post  Natalee Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:50 am

I have read and heard lots of positive and negative statements about people using the Wii for weight loss and fitness. Many people say its just a gimmick to get us to think we are doing something rather then just playing a video game. Its such a negative way to look at it. The games are what your put into them. If they are done half assed and for 15 minutes a day, no I don't think people will loose any weight or increase their fitness level. Are these games for people who are very physically fit? Probably not, as I am not one of these people I can't say for sure, but I will assume it doesn't pose much of a challenge for them. There are always gimmicks out there some may work and some are a joke, but its up to the individual person to make it happen. I just saw on the news this morning about this new diet called the cookie diet. The woman promoting it has lost over 100 lbs. If that works for her great, but I doubt it would work for me. I'd end up eating a weeks worth of cookies in one day, defeating the purpose of the diet...LOL

My fitness level is pretty low. I am 100 lbs over weight. The workouts on Wii Fit kick my ass, I'm sweating and tired, but I feel great after. My best friend who is 120 lbs, perfect size and perfect weight gets her ass kicked, just as much as me. Its about fitness level. Fat or thin.

Its about getting off the couch. Its winter here and we have about a foot of snow on the ground and 20 degrees. I am not hardcore, will not run in snow drift and freeze my ass off. I don't have a gym membership, can't afford one and never went when I did own one. I didn't buy this to let it sit in the corner of my living room and collect dust, I am going to use it and lose it!

bounce
Natalee
Natalee
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-01-30

https://wiifitforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

People Who Say Wii Fit Is Just a Gimmick Empty The Wii Fit is so addicting

Post  dancerpeg Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:14 pm

I have had the Wii Fit for only 3 days and I am very addicted to it. I have been challenging one of my son's so we have been trying to keep the highest score. I also like DDR on slow speed and it was a good work out. I hope to acheive my goal of my weight loss. But I only put small goals for now. Because big goals are hard to make better then small one. Thanks again Peg
dancerpeg
dancerpeg
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Back to top Go down

People Who Say Wii Fit Is Just a Gimmick Empty Re: People Who Say Wii Fit Is Just a Gimmick

Post  KeithA39 Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:37 pm

Good post gNat.

We all have to start somewhere and, for many, the hardest part is just getting off the couch and becoming active. The balance games got me involved, but now I do running, some yoga, and strength exercises as well.

And...I'm more active everyday. Wii Fit burns off stress just as well as eating, so there's less food being thrown down my mouth every day as well.

You keep it up. You've certainly got my admiration.
KeithA39
KeithA39
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Back to top Go down

People Who Say Wii Fit Is Just a Gimmick Empty Re: People Who Say Wii Fit Is Just a Gimmick

Post  Natalee Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks for your support! sunny

Peg, I couldn't agree with you more. Small goals are the most attainable and the only way not to get overwhelmed and give up. I have this motto taped to my bathroom mirror. "You didn't gain it in a day, you can't lose it in a day." I hope you beat your son's scores!

Keith, my biggest downfall is procrastination. I feel so healthy when I workout, and on they days I don't I feel lazy and tired. Its all about a lifestyle change for me, I just hope I can make it stick this time around.
Natalee
Natalee
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2009-01-30

https://wiifitforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithA39 Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:54 pm

For me, and I suspect for a boatload of people, the biggest part is getting started with an exercise program and sustaining it. From past experiences, I get something going, then, for whatever reason, fall out of it for a few days, then it fades from my life.

The great thing about Wii is that you can do something fun like snowboarding, which seems to rev up your engine, then keep moving with something else like strength or cardio.

As an example, I really get bored doing the 20 minute island run. Just not as nice scenery as the shorter runs can have. So, today, I'll just say to myself, get on the Wii for a couple of yoga, balance, or strength exercises, then quit if you want. Bet I don't though. Wii is very psychologically deceptive that way. It lures you in...then.

I'm actually going to be inspired with each story I read here of someone making the effort to improve their lives, even though work is involved.
KeithA39
KeithA39
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaW Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:09 pm

I think the potential for WiiFit is tremendous. I kind of feel that the game that came with WiiFit is just a sample of what can be done with the board and that it is a great starting point for a lot of people who are sedentary. It's fun and it gets you off the couch in the beginning but then you are eager to see what else you can do with it. I love the skiing and ski jumping part and wish there was more to it. I also liked the step portion a lot more than I thought I would. I'm looking forward to that new EA game that is going to be coming out and have been considering getting the Wii skiing game.

Of course there will always be people who buy WiiFit and then quickly grow bored with it but I'm sure there are also a lot of people who are thrilled with it and have kept up using it.
BrendaW
BrendaW
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  FitMonkey Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:06 pm

The great thing I love about the Wii is that one is not vegging in front of the TV playing video games. I grew up on video games, and that's what I did.

But now with my own children, they love to play Wii Sports, Outdoor Challenge and now the Wii Fit games. I'm ok with it because they're not vegging. They're up, moving, breathing hard, yet having fun.

Nintendo was brilliant creating this device! Very Happy
FitMonkey
FitMonkey
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithA39 Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:34 pm

Nintendo was brilliant creating this device!

Right on, FitMonkey!!! Ain't that the truth.
KeithA39
KeithA39
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Back to top Go down

People Who Say Wii Fit Is Just a Gimmick Empty Wii all fit

Post  Oceanrun Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:56 am

I heard today that a baseball player was messing around with his kids on the wii and realized this was good. He has lost over 25 pounds. This is no useless gimmick.
Oceanrun
Oceanrun
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaW Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:24 pm

I've been a gamer most of my life and have all three consoles. I'm enjoying the wii because of the fact that it is getting me off the couch and physically moving around and it's fun! I still enjoy playing the games on the 360 and PS3 but I don't feel as guilty now that I have the Wii to "workout" with. It doesn't even feel like I'm working out but when you're drenched with sweat after doing Samba De Amigo or boxing and tennis in Wii Sports for an hour you know you're doing something good. I also love WiiFit but have kind of put that aside for the moment because of the fun I'm having with the Samba game. My 19 yr. old daughter is using WiiFit about 4 times a week and loves it!

I'm getting ready to check out Helix which Lady Gryphon recommended in another thread. And my next purchase will most likely be that new EA game coming out. I don't see myself getting bored anytime soon with my Wii Fit-ness routine!!
BrendaW
BrendaW
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaW Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:27 pm

Oceanrun wrote:I heard today that a baseball player was messing around with his kids on the wii and realized this was good. He has lost over 25 pounds. This is no useless gimmick.

I'm not surprised at all to hear this. When I was debating on getting the Wii and wii fit I was reading a lot of reviews and I came across some British article that said that kids who used the Wii 12 hours a week (I'm assuming a game like Wii Sports) could lose up to 25 lbs a year.
BrendaW
BrendaW
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Back to top Go down

Post  rainessa Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:55 am

Not specifically wii, but I remember my baby cousin (who now has a baby of his own...im getting old) being chunky in high school but then slimmed up by the time he graduated. My aunt said he did it with the Dance Dance Revolution game that they had at home. I saw that the wii had this game as well so picked it up yesterday.
rainessa
rainessa
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Tyke Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:07 am

I think that the game really comes into it's own in the winter. We were snowed in for two weeks in December (the Brits don't do snow!) and it was great to be able to run round the island.

Old Tyke
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum