Wii Fit Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David's Rant

+4
KeithA39
dancerpeg
FitMonkey
David
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

David's Rant Empty David's Rant

Post  David Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:54 pm

2 weeks now working out anywhere from 30-60 minutes a day (Mon-Fri) I haven't lost any weight yet but I do notice that my stress/anxiety levels have really dropped while my energy has increased so I guess I am on the right track for a slow weight loss goal. My wife even commented that I was nicer to be around. Now I just have to find a way to tell her not to stand behind me while I work out and clap her hands and say " Way to go Babe keep it up your doing good" over and over again. Bless her heart for being so supportive but damn it drives me crazy. lol!

I decided to follow my doctors recommendation of tracking my calorie intake so I found a nice free website and I am going to try to stay under 2000 calories a day. Yesterday was my first full day of tracking and I only had a count of 1719 at the end of the day so I think the 2k limit is a realistic goal. Yes I did feel hungry up until diner time but I fought the urge to snack, I think this will be tougher to do then the exercises.
David
David
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

David's Rant Empty Re: David's Rant

Post  FitMonkey Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Tracking calorie intake is a great idea. I did this for my first two months, and it helped a great deal. You get a really good idea of what foods are really calorie dense and which foods have the biggest bang for the buck - that is, fill you up better with not so many calories.

Generally, the closer the food is to it's natural state, the less calories it has (ie. whole foods).
FitMonkey
FitMonkey
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

David's Rant Empty When lossing weight eat fiber

Post  dancerpeg Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:10 pm

Push for more fiber like in cereal or snack bars with 7 to 8 grams of fiber. Here are a couple of different bars out there with low calories but high fiber. "Fiber One" or Kelloggs fiber plus. I just went to Kelloggs and Men from 14-50 needs 38 grams of fiber. Take it slow putting in lots of fiber at once. I eat these in between meals so that my blood sugar doesn't drop and fiber makes you feel fuller between meals. Don't eat banana's before exercising because all you going to do is burn up the sugar in the banana I just found that one out.

I generally eat 5 to 6 small meals a day. So I hope this will help everyone.
Women from 19- 50 needs 25 grams of fiber a day.

Peg
dancerpeg
dancerpeg
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithA39 Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:22 pm

Agree with both the above.

I take a lot of extra fiber now that I'm dieting and I'm keeping much closer track of how many calories are going into my belly.

Also, remember that the scale alone does not indicate progress. You might well be gaining muscle mass with all your exercise and muscle weighs more than fat. After my couple of weeks of dieting, I'm noticing clothes fitting more loosely and I even have moved one belt notch thinner.

But, I have to say I got a big thrill outta your wife and her encouragement. I'm about to exercise and I'm going to call my wife in right now and have her read your post so that I can get like treatment.
KeithA39
KeithA39
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post  FitMonkey Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:57 pm

David wrote: Now I just have to find a way to tell her not to stand behind me while I work out and clap her hands and say " Way to go Babe keep it up your doing good" over and over again. Bless her heart for being so supportive but damn it drives me crazy. lol!

That reminds me of when we first got MFC. I had already used it a couple of nights before my wife even saw any part of the game. I was doing the aerobics, and she came into the room. I FROZE and screamed at her, "GET OUT!!!!". I was completely embarrassed and felt like I was on stage, in front of the bright spotlights as the clumsy ape I really am crashed around clumsily.

She just said, "Get over it, I wanna see what this is all about" and plppped down on the couch to watch. So, stood there for a second, blinked a few times, and then just kept going. I used to even close the blinds I was so embarrased. Now I don't care anymore. If someone sees me, well then, it's their own fault. They're the one that will have the image of me flopping around in their memory, not me. Laughing

I don't think I could handle her cheering me on, though. Very Happy
FitMonkey
FitMonkey
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

Back to top Go down

David's Rant Empty Snack Away!!!

Post  Steph Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Snack away. In fact, snacking keeps some people from consuming too many calories at the next meal. The secret is to snack on 'real' food. An apple, bunch of grapes, Celery with hummus, low-fat string cheese, handful of almonds, Soy-chips (BBQ flavor of course), you get the idea. I tend to choose fiber rich foods, they fill you up. Fat free popcorn is good too :-)
Steph
Steph
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  FitMonkey Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:27 am

dancerpeg wrote:Don't eat banana's

Evil or Very Mad

For some reason, which I cannot fully explain, I am drawn toward the fresh yellow fruit of banana. Maybe it's in my genes.

Very Happy
FitMonkey
FitMonkey
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

Back to top Go down

David's Rant Empty Bananas mmm

Post  Oceanrun Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:35 am

I would be no happy with no banana. I understand the fructose in bananas are easy to digest, some fruits more than others. The counting calories is something I did to start and I was shocked. I'm glad to hear you are doing well, keep it up.
Oceanrun
Oceanrun
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

David's Rant Empty Banana's I agree mmmm..

Post  dancerpeg Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:38 pm

I love banana's and I was eating them everyday that's what I was craving. And then I have a book called 40-30-30 also known as the zone diet and they was talking about a women eating a banana before she workout and they told her that was all she was burning so I will eat banana on my non-workout days. Well I hope I didn't ruin anybody's day about the banana's.. Peg
dancerpeg
dancerpeg
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Back to top Go down

David's Rant Empty No Day Ruined

Post  Oceanrun Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:21 pm

I don't know about "Zone" but we do consume natural sugars each day, do you know how bananas could be something on their own, or different in some way?
Oceanrun
Oceanrun
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Back to top Go down

David's Rant Empty bananas and chocolate

Post  prism68 Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:55 am

I had to share this idea since y'all are on the banana subject Smile
Since dark chocolate is a great antioxidant (better than green tea and red wine!), mix 1 1/2 tsps. with a half a ripe banana mashed. Smoosh it together until it resembles pudding in texture; it is SO good, healthy, and really gets you over those cravings for something decadent. Only about 100 calories, too!
(I found that on a wellness forum)
prism68
prism68
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

David's Rant Empty that sound good

Post  dancerpeg Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:50 am

That's sound good to do with the dark chocolate and the banana. Thanks for that ideal. Peg
dancerpeg
dancerpeg
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Back to top Go down

David's Rant Empty Banana and exercise

Post  dancerpeg Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:56 am

I'm not saying to give up banana but don't eat them before working out like I was. They are really good for you if you are not trying to control your blood sugar like I have too. I have type 2 diabetic (sp) and banana are high in frutose for someone like me. Well have a great day all.. Lunch with some girlfriends in Seattle.

Oh the Zone Diet it was a popular about 7 years ago. It consist of 40 Carbs 30 protein and 30 Fat. It starts out with a 21 day fat fluch and then you fall their menu for the meal or protein shake for replacement meals. I've been trying different things since I've lost weight and now my blood sugar drops to low at some times so I have been doing a lot of reading about sugar products. Peg
dancerpeg
dancerpeg
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Back to top Go down

David's Rant Empty cocoa

Post  prism68 Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:59 am

I meant to say use cocoa powder with the banana smooshing 'recipe'. Hershey's does make a dark version now.
prism68
prism68
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaW Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:24 pm

David, I also haven't lost any weight (have actually gained weight since I started exercising). I am attributing it to gaining muscle because I can tell that my clothes are feeling a little looser.

Someone mentioned the Fiber One brand and I just tried their English Muffins out last week and they are great. I think it's about 6 grams of fiber a muffin. They also have a banana nut muffin mix and an apple muffin mix. I've tried the apple muffins and those were really good. I just bought some of their white bread today but haven't had a chance to try it. Anyway, what I've tried so far has been really good.

And DancerPeg, thanks so much for the banana tip! I was eating a banana right before I worked out - won't be doing that anymore.
BrendaW
BrendaW
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

David's Rant Empty OH OH

Post  Oceanrun Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:19 am

What a great chocolate idea. Oh Jeeez
Oceanrun
Oceanrun
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Back to top Go down

Post  David Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:57 am

Hey gang,

Dropped 6 lbs!!! and 2 inches on my belly.

I am up to being able to run/fast walk 20 minutes on a treadmill at 3.5 MPH just a little over 1 mile at a rate of 190. I like to run along with the 20 minute free run on the Wii Fit. the Wii fit mileage is way off I must swing my arms in short strokes when I jog.

I don't know how real world jogging compares to jogging on a treadmill but I haven't been able to jog more then 500 feet for a long time let alone a mile prior to getting the Wii Fit. I just might go out with my wife this weekend to the local HS and try to jog around the track and see if I can jog a mile to see how it compares to the treadmill.

I think I'll continue the 20 minute jog for another week before I attempt to go for 25. Oh I forgot I been jogging everyday.

I dropped my calorie intake down to 1800 from 2000 (it isn't to bad at all now I am paying attention to labels and trying new foods.) I don't have any starving myself feelings so I think I found a good balance I can live with.
David
David
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Back to top Go down

David's Rant Empty awesome

Post  dancerpeg Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:37 am

Well Done David I'm glad that you are making very good progress. I was also thinking of running on my treadmill during the run but haven't done that yet. Cool Peg
dancerpeg
dancerpeg
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithA39 Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:39 pm

Woohoo!!! Good going, David!!!
KeithA39
KeithA39
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:53 am

Legs feel better today.........I think I'll still take it easy for a couple of days. Dropped another pound, I must say this calorie tracking is working quite well for me I am probably averaging 1700 calories a day give or take a few. I am really surprised how easy it is for me to stick to the calorie watching, I hear the first 10 pounds are pretty easy to loose so I am excited to see how it goes after I past that mark.

Has anyone seen or heard from our host for this forum lately? I created a folder in the Gallery section so you can all see my ugly mug and my family, just waiting for Natalie to approve it.
David
David
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Back to top Go down

Post  FitMonkey Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:21 am

David, glad to hear your legs are feeling better! And nice job with the reduced calorie regimen. It's tough to do! Could you give us an example of what a typical day's food might look like?

As far as Nat, I don't think she's been by in a week or so. I know she's busy, but it might help if she gave another member (not me) some admin rights if she's not available. Like for your gallery, and I'm sure eventually some spammers are going to find their way here.

Well, good job, and keep it up! I hope your legs recover 100% soon.
FitMonkey
FitMonkey
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:10 am

David's Rant Fitday17
David
David
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Back to top Go down

Post  FitMonkey Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:28 am

wow, very meticulous record keeping - I'm impressed!

Looks good too. You're making me hungry! Very Happy

Thanks for sharing.
FitMonkey
FitMonkey
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

Back to top Go down

Post  David Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks I really like the Fit Day website. Most of the foods are in the database but I did have to create a few custom foods. My only question regarding creating custom foods is there is no place to input sugar levels on the Nutrition labels, So I just started using the Alcohol field as my sugar field. I don't know how that will affect the reports but oh well.
David
David
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Back to top Go down

Post  David Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:14 am

Today's body test shown I lost another 1.1 pounds and the measuring tape says lost another 1 inch in my belly. I am starting wonder if I am doing something wrong either it be the way I am testing myself or if I may be just crash dieting at a unhealthy pace. I've always heard the first 10 pounds drop really fast but come on!!! 1 pound and 1 inch overnight is it possible?

I am really excited about the results over the past 20 days but I want my weight loss to be a healthy and permanent thing, I've heard so many stories of people dropping weight the wrong way only to gain it all back plus a few more pounds.

I still am giving myself another day of taking it easy on the exercising. This weekend I will go get some really nice shoes with good arch support, I learned the hard way not to exercise barefoot or with crappy shoes which I have done both. Even though I am starting to believe my lower leg pain was just normal pain from using muscles I haven't touched in 20 years. The swelling I noticed in my lower legs Hasn't gone away but the pain has, I guess it is just muscle definition (my legs haven't ever carried much fat).

Ok I am starting to ramble aimlessly now so I will shut up.
David
David
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next