Wii Fit Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Aides?????

5 posters

Go down

Favorite Aides????? Empty Favorite Aides?????

Post  Steph Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:58 am

Is anyone else really getting into this fitness thing? With me, it started with a search for the elusive Wii Console and Wii Fit. That took a week because they are not available locally due to a shortage.

I remembered that I can't fit into my cute workout/yoga outfits since gaining 45lbs over the past few years. While I'm only working out at home, not at the gym, I decided to treat myself to some yoga pants and moisture-wicking shirts. Nothin' like new clothes to put a gal in the mood Basketball Footware. I'm still searching for a good shoe for 'stepping'. Apparently you can't use a running shoe, arrgh. I need to get professionally fitted since my attempts to find a good workout shoe have fallen short in the past. I suffer from plantar fasciitis so I don't workout without wearing shoes for support. Good socks are a must, I use Thorlo brand, they last forever!

Fitness Ball, Yoga Mat..... Dug them out of the back of the closet!!!!

Some women have had great luck with the 'Walk Away The Pounds' DVD's. I rented some from Netflix and liked them so I purchased three so I'd have a variety. It's cold here in Oregon so this is a way to get the walking/jogging in without having to step outside. As soon as Spring hits, I'll venture outdoors but these DVD's are pretty good and get the heart rate up and I definately break a sweat. After shedding my weight, I plan to use walking to maintain my weight and I can see these DVD's coming in handy at home and even in a hotel room!

Food...... I cleaned out the cupboards and donated all our white pasta, white rice, white flour, etc to the local food panty. I went shopping and stocked the freezer with whole wheat products, pita pockets, tortillas, pasta, cous cous, etc. Greek Yogurt, organic fruits and veggies, etc. I've been reading up on nutrition and have incorporated snacking into my diet, fruits, string cheese, nuts, etc. I've learned that fiber helps keep me full and I'm no longer overeating. And my new obsession is a product called Lightful. It's a 6oz smoothie. I buy them in twelve packs from Amazon. I dump one into my Margaritaville Machine and make a smoothie and it's delicious and only counts as 1 Weight Watchers point!

I also ordered 'The Step' It came with a DVD but I decided to also order a Kathy Smith Stepping DVD: Everybody Steps: A guide for new exercisers. The Step is nice and wide, 42". I think I'm really going to like stepping. unfortunately I'm as uncoordinated as I was back in the 80's when I was doing Jazzercise. (Anyone remember that?) I found a website that lists all the basic steps http://www.turnstep.com/moves.html - This should be helpful to helping me learn the steps. This is quite different from using the Step routines on the Wii Fit.

Resistance Bands, Dumbbells, Ankle/Wrist Weights: I'm still sore from doing exercises without them, but will incorporate them into my routine as my fitness level increases.

Most of us know that we should be getting in 10,000 steps a day right? Well, if you didn't know, now you do. I've ordered an inexpensive pedometer from Amazon, a Omron HJ-720ITC Pocket Pedometer. I also ordered a Mio Heart Rate Watch from Costco.com. This little device allows you to track your heart rate without wearing a chest strap and the model I ordered keeps track of your daily progress.

Other than good shoes and socks I could live without any of these accessories. But anything that helps maintain my motivation is a good thing

So...... what about YOU??????

cyclops
Steph
Steph
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Favorite Aides????? Empty Re: Favorite Aides?????

Post  FitMonkey Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:01 pm

I never realized how important good shoes are. When I started My Fitness Coach, I wore my old (very old) running shoes. Bad idea. No support, plus they were old (they still do the trick for running on the treadmill). Not to mention blisters galore. Then I went to my regular sneakers (just a general "cross training" type shoe). But these were old too. More blisters. In different places.

Then I got new cross trainers that I didn't spend enough time trying on because I'm a guy and I hate shopping. They just don't fit right. Eventually I'll get a new pair, but I dread having to go shopping again. Rolling Eyes

I also have a Yoga mat which has come in really handy for both Wii Fit and MFC. Both games put all the exercises where I'm on the floor at the end when I'm all sweaty. They Yoga mat is a convenient anti-sweat carpet shield. Laughing I think getting my family room carpet all sweaty is kind of gross. silent Plus I sweat like a pig

I have a treadmill, which on it's own I don't think I would use much because I'm not a big fan of running (and when that's all we had, it didn't get used much), but running once in a while I can handle.

I have a bunch of dumbells and a flat bench which become very versitile for all kinds of stuff. My wife claims the biggest dumbell in our house is me. Razz

For MFC, I use a fitness ball and step. Unfortunately the ball is used primarily for upper body stuff, which I don't see a lot of, so I barely get to use it.

Also, my sister couldn't resist getting me the official Wii Fit Headband and Wristbands as a gag gift. I haven't worn them yet, but I told her I would put them on and take a picture.

Lastly, I have the cutest little set of 1 pound dumbells. When I'm lifting weights, my kids like to exercise too, so I got them these. I'll have to post a picture later when I get the chance. They're awesome! Razz
FitMonkey
FitMonkey
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Favorite Aides????? Empty FAV

Post  Oceanrun Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:18 pm

My tread mill has become my favorite item since the wii island running. I walk @ 3.5 mph for a slow cool-down and I have been all over that island. Different dogs to follow, all kinds of new paths, what a blast at something that used to be dead boring.
Oceanrun
Oceanrun
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Post  FitMonkey Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Here is the awesome Wii Fit headband and wristbands I received as a gift. The headband was a little small and was cutting off circulation to my parietal lobe:

Favorite Aides????? IMG_1178

Here's a quick pic of my 70 pounder dumbells for Keith. They don't get used very often. Notice in the background the paint cans and cement floor. My lifting "oasis" is in the basement utility room (for our furnace and storage). Cold. Cramped. Scary spiders and other bugs I don't know what to call. It's a far cry from the typical gym atmosphere, but it does the trick. I put in a slipper for scale.

Favorite Aides????? IMG_1179

And finally, the big prize, the 1 pounders. Aren't they cute?! Very Happy And for the record, I do have opposable thumbs.

Favorite Aides????? IMG_1180

And a picture of my oldest as he rips out a massive set of shoulder presses with those cute one pounders as my youngest patiently waits his turn. You can see my "awesome" lifting environment in the background. Like I said, it does the trick, and it is incredibly cheaper than the gym.

Favorite Aides????? IMG_0887copy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
FitMonkey
FitMonkey
Personal Trainer
Personal Trainer

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Favorite Aides????? Empty Basement

Post  Oceanrun Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:38 am

I have never lived in a home with a basement, how cool to have a place to gather all the stuff(course you what I mean there). So the kids weight less than the weights.
Oceanrun
Oceanrun
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Back to top Go down

Favorite Aides????? Empty workout rooms

Post  prism68 Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:23 am

At least no one can see you in the basement!

My only space to workout is in an upstairs room. The blind is broken and I'm too cheap to put up curtains, so when I end up working out after dark (commonly) the whole neighborhood can watch the freak/peep show in blazing, lit-up glory affraid

I'm going to have to break down and buy some curtains; it's too traumatic otherwise Wink
prism68
prism68
Breaking a Sweat
Breaking a Sweat

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithA39 Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:06 pm

FitMonkey wrote:

Here's a quick pic of my 70 pounder dumbells for Keith.

You da man, FitMonkey. I think I might go up to a 50 pounder for presses while I lie in bed and a couple other exercises, but 70 pounds is a monster. I was in a sporting goods store yesterday for some cross training shoes as per what Steph said and wandered over to the weights. I could do an arm curl up to 45 pounds, but couldn't get the 50 pound dumbbell except half way up.

By the way, I just love dumbbells. They've been great for my torn up shoulder, so long as I pay attention to form.

Your kids are cute and thanks for posting all the pictures. Wish I had a basement to have for storing stuff.
KeithA39
KeithA39
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithA39 Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:10 pm

Oh, and Oceanrun, wanted to say fantastic idea about cool down after My Fitness Coach. I'm starting to do that after reading what you said, either on the elliptical or, better yet, a quick-paced walk with the dogs.
KeithA39
KeithA39
Burning up the Wii
Burning up the Wii

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down